An exciting opportunity to lead organizational change as both an HR Director and an Executive Team member, with incredible City Council and community support!
The Human Resources Director is a valued member of the City’s Executive Team, reporting to the Assistant City Manager or City Manager. This active director will be engaged in every aspect of Human Resources, including leading employee engagement and development; participating in labor negotiations with our three employee associations; managing workers’ compensation and other benefits; administering performance management programs, disciplinary action, and personnel investigations; safety and risk management; and talent management. The Human Resources Department supports all City departments – City Manager’s Office, Community Development, Finance, Police, Public Works, and Recreation & Community Services. The department is a team of four personnel – a Director, an Analyst, and two Technicians.
The ideal candidate will be an ethical and engaging executive, who is eager to share their knowledge and innovative ideas. Enthusiastic leaders who enjoy the freedom to ideate, take action and transform teams; and can focus on the end goal while problem solving and decision making are encouraged to apply. Someone who enjoys coaching their staff, City supervisors and other employees, and who approaches people and issues with empathy and compassion will thrive in this position. The ideal candidate will have experience in employee and labor relations, be politically astute, and have a track record of effective leadership. Confidence, clear communication, and creativity are key to success. If you are a strategic thinker who takes challenges head on, we encourage you to apply to join our team!
The City offers an outstanding benefits package that includes:
- Health Insurance: The City contributes the following amounts to employee health and welfare benefits:
- Employee only: $896
- Employee + 1 dependent: $1,790
- Employee + 2 or more dependents: $2,364
If employee declines any or part of the City’s cafeteria plan, employee may receive up to $450 cash-in-lieu per month or use the cash to pay for other benefits such as dental, vision, or additional life insurance. Any cash out will be paid to the employee in taxable compensation. Proof of medical insurance is required.
- Retirement: CalPERS 2.5% @ 55 for Classic members or 2.0% @ 62 for New PEPRA members. The City does not participate in Social Security. The City participates in Medicare.
- General Leave: 184 to 264 hours of general leave accrual each year, depending on length of service. Up to 80 hours of general leave may be converted to pay per fiscal year.
- Management Leave: Up to 56 hours per fiscal year.
- Holidays: 13 paid holidays per year, including 2 flexible days
- 401(a) Plan: 6% employee contribution matched by City
- Retirement Health Savings Plan: $100/month
- Life Insurance: City-paid $50,000 policy
- Educational Reimbursement: Up to $10,000 lifetime benefit
- Long-term and Short-term Disability: Voluntary participation
- Health Allowance: $100/month
- Vehicle Allowance: $400/month
- Wellness: On-site bicycle lockers and employee wellness activities such as workshops, fitness challenges, and informal meetings
- Health & Fitness: Employees and eligible family members enjoy free use of the gym, exercise equipment and pools at the Silliman Activity and Family Aquatic Center, as well as resident rates for classes and rentals.
- You may review the Compensation and Benefit Plan on our website for additional details: Compensation and Benefit Plan
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Any combination of experience and training that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in public administration, human resources, industrial psychology or a closely related field. A Master’s Degree is desirable.
- Five years of progressively responsible management or supervisory experience in various areas of the personnel administration, including labor relations.
- Possession of a valid California Class C driver license is required.
Applicants are encouraged to review the class specification for the essential duties, and knowledge and abilities required for the position.
How to Apply
Please view the job posting and put in your application at https://www.calopps.org/newark/job-20384689
An application, resume, and cover letter must be submitted through CalOpps by June 5, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. The most qualified candidates will be invited to panel interviews tentatively scheduled for June 15, 2023. Finalists will be invited to an interview with the City Manager and the Assistant City Manager tentatively scheduled for June 22, 2023. The selected final candidate will be required to complete a background check, including fingerprinting, credit check and a basic physical exam. The target hire date for the candidate successful in all phases of the recruitment process is as early as July 24, 2023.
CITY & STATE
($) 217006 - ($) 260416